Why I am campaigning against congestion charging
I am very aware that many residents of South Cambridgeshire rely on transport links into Cambridge. But the proposals being put forward show that the GCP are completely out of touch with how ordinary people live their lives.
Mums and dads taking their kids to school and then heading straight to work, carers visiting family members, tradesmen with heavy tools, NHS staff, and hospital patients will all be caught by this charge. Even city residents will face the full charge simply for leaving their driveway or moving their car down the street. It is absurd.
I will continue to fight this charge - thank you for joining me!
So far, I have:
- surveyed over 2,000 residents, 64% of whom were opposed to the charge. These results were shared with the GCP, SCDC and the County Council, as well as all local representatives.
- surveyed both residents and businesses following the release of GCP plans (results to be shared at a later date - go to Surveys on the sidebar to find out more)
- received over 3,500 verified signatures from residents across South Cambridgeshire who have signed my petition against congestion charging
- supported the 12,000 across our country who have signed the change.org petition against the congestion charge.
- wrote to the Leader of SCDC (letter below) asking her position on the congestion charge?
- wrote to the Greater Cambridge Partnership asking for clarity on their plans, and later opposing the changes
- arranged to meet with Greater Cambridge Partnership officials to discuss plans.
- raised the issue with Transport Secretary in a discussion on wider transport issues in South Cambridgeshire
- wrote to the Leaders of the Councils controlling the GCP (letter below) following the consultation announcement, asking for full votes in Council on the charge
- lobbied the Mayor of the Combined Authority, meeting with him to seek his views on this and other transport issues.