I firmly believe that children should grow up in an environment with no limits to their potential, and I have been working with my parliamentary colleagues in Cambridgeshire to lobby the Secretary of State for Education for additional funding for local schools.
In its commitment to levelling up opportunity, the Government is determined to give every child in this country the world-class education they deserve. I am delighted that the efforts of all our local MPs have resulted in substantial changes. In the last eighteen months, we have seen three major interventions from our Government to support education recovery from the pandemic collectively worth over £3 billion, on top of significant funding reallocation that has resulted in a 21.3% increase in real terms funding since 2014/15 compared to 6% in the rest of England. However, it is clear that schools in South Cambridgeshire will still receive lower funding than other areas in the country. I will continue to campaign so we can fund every child in South Cambridgeshire, no matter their background nor where they go to school, to learn in an environment that enables them to reach their full potential.
We need to ensure the very best for South Cambridgeshire's schools. That is why I am currently working on:
- Increasing per pupil funding for every child in our area.
- Lobbing government ministers to come to South Cambridgeshire, including taking the School's Minister to Duxford Primary.
- Engaging with both Primary and Secondary School headteachers to better understand their concerns.
- Visiting every school in South Cambridgeshire.
- Improving local school facilities, for example at Sawston Village College.
- Ensuring development in Cambourne does not impact the road access to the school.
- Fighting for a refurbishment of the Centre School in Cottenham.
For more detail on many of these campaigns, click the icons to the left (below on mobile). See my latest news here.